Set Your Lukewarm to Flame
This one’s for those of you like me, who live the so-called “average” American life. A home, a family, a nice little suburbia: it seems like the norm, right? While we all seem to prefer blissful idealism, it’s important that we have a realist for a reality-check every now and then. We need to not just live–but live on fire!
I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.” Revelation 3:15-16
Today, I’m aiming to be your reality-check (and mine), in remembering that the world is so much bigger than our first world countries and our suburbia. Even if you don’t have that kind of lifestyle, it can still be just as easy to forget. We can’t settle for standard. We can’t settle for the world’s mentality. We need to be the hot; the blazingly passionate people. It’s when we lose our perspective that we come think that everything is so small and simple. Getting caught up in thinking all this leads to one thing. Apathy.
There are lots of things the bible tells us to know and do and to not do. Below is a few tips to help you get started turning your lukewarm to flame.
- Live out loud! Be big and bold and let people know the truth. (Isaiah 58:1)
- We are supposed to relay God’s message to everyone. Yes, as in everyone. There’s still a lot of unreached people. (Matthew 28:19).
- Before I get you too riled up, remember not to be an idiot. (Acts 19:36)
- Have one primary goal in life: the pursuit of God’s kingdom; don’t be double-minded. (James 4:8)
- We have the Lord in our hearts! Don’t forget he’s right there with you. (1 Corinthians 3:16)
These five things will go a long way to turning your average lifestyle into a passionate one. On Judgement Day, there will be a few kinds of people: those who oppose God or don’t care, those who knew of or about him, but never truly sought him, and those who searched for him with everything they had. In short, there are the cold, the lukewarm, and the hot. How do you think you’d be classified?